Thursday, October 28, 2010

Running Musings

After a busy couple of days, I wanted to write a bit about running.

I think I'm in a funk.  A two year long running funk.  Lets start at beginning, shall we?

I ran XC and track in high school and through college I was fairly diligent about running 5-6 days a week or doing some alternate workout.  During the winters, I did a fair amount of downhill skiing.  SO, these are good habits.

After I graduated, I also kept up the running to 5-6 days a week.  I was more focused and ran a few races.  Including a half marathon, and a full marathon.  Clearly that took some dedication and focus.......also, I had much more time on my hands!  I lived 1 mile from my work so there was literally no commute, and I lived by myself.

Since moving to Portland and dealing with many changes including moving in with A, grad school, commuting and probably a seemingly endless amount of excuses, OH, the biggest of which is the puppy.....she couldn't go running with me until she was 6-8months old.  I have found it difficult maintaining a schedule of working out.  I've done quite a few races, including Bloomsday in Spokane, WA.  I also did a triathlon in August, which was pretty sweet.  But, all in all I have been on slight downward slide.  All in all I have gained 15-20lbs since moving here.  I lost a bunch of weight in the spring before moving to Portland, and I was at a pretty ideal weight.

THAT being said, the wedding has definitely put a different perspective on things.  I probably weighed as much as I ever want too at the beginning of the month.  I have been getting better about maintaining a consistent running schedule, and consequently I feel much better!  I am also running faster and loosing weight. I am also watching what I am eating and being more aware of my portion size.  I had a great run yesterday and an even better bike ride home today, hence my thoughts on this topic.  I only hope that my enthusiasm continues.......I"m pretty sure that the thought of photos that will last a lifetime is a good motivating factor :)
A trip to Belize this December and the thought of being in a bathing suit around lots of people is pretty terrifying.

Anywho, I know that I am digressing and writing more "stream-of-consciousness" right now.  Its been prevalent my thoughts right now.  I bought the Wii Fit board and its been good to have something track my progress!

Now, time for dinner.

-KT

No comments: